In 999 AD there was a total solar eclipse in Southern Europe. The combination of the ellipse with the calendar – the upcoming 1000 AD produced interesting effects. Many people believed the world was going to end. Farmers stopped tilling their fields. Many people gave property and “worldly possessions” to The Roman Catholic Church.
There was a famine
On New Year’s Eve 999 many huddled in churches waiting for the end. When nothing happened many demanded what they had given to the church back. The Church Fathers said no. There was a famine and the middle/business class collapsed. It took Middle Class took ten years to rebuild.
Many succumbed to a similar hysteria around the Y2K virus. A friend never recovered from going into debt in preparation for the collapse and has been looking into conspiracy theories for new collapses.
Endings and beginnings are based on the invention of language that feed ego.
Astrologers and the current eclipse are predicting big changes and transformation. There is a need in a culture based in capitalism for events and a cellular desire / fear-aversion for endings (also built into Judaeo-Christian and Islamic philosophy). Endings and beginnings are based on the invention of time and language that feed ego functions in us all. While eclipses occur four to seven times per year – both solar and lunar. Solar and lunar eclipses are approximately two weeks apart from one another.
A Solar Eclipse both total and partial are positions of the Moon in front of the Sun casting a shadow on Earth. A Lunar Eclipse is the shadow of Earth that blocks the Sun from illuminating the Moon. The symbology of eclipses or metaphors in Solar Eclipses – unconscious or “the dark side” of personality / inner self comes to light and in Lunar Eclipses – unconscious or “the dark side” of emotions come to light – because we observe the process.
The Astrologers I have read so far regarding the eclipse event do NOT predict exact events. It’s all rather vague, claiming transformation. There are some reasons for this:
- Modern Astrology doesn’t predict events
- Astrological transits (planets, the Sun and Moon in relationships with one another and/or with natal – or birth charts or progressed charts of persons, entities – the USA for example) are parameters of possibility.
- Parameters of possibility don’t predict events per se. Parameters are about limits and a way of prescribing sets of variables within a set, in a formal manner.
- Parameters of possibility can fall High, Medium or Low probabilities
- Parameters of possibility can be interpreted from a Transcendental Perspective, from a Conscious Perspective or an Unconscious Perspective.
- Whether our experience falls within the parameters of possibilities depends on too many factors, but if we were to list the salient factors they might be:
- Choice, will, and decision
- Soul age
- Hazard / luck
- If an astrologer were to predict a specific “fearful” event and they proved to be correct then is a self-fulfilling prophecy dictating the process may have occurred. No person or astrologer would want this responsibility.
- If an astrologer were to predict a specific “positive” event and it proved to be correct then others would look to this astrologer for past and future replication of this “educated guess”. And /or consider them “psychic”.
- If an astrologer predicts a “positive” but vague and seemingly magical future event then there is usually no way to determine whether it actually happened or not from a common perspective.
According to astrological cycles the new moon / solar eclipse (August 21, 2017 at 18:30 UT, 2:30 pm EDT, 11:30 am PDT) are about new beginnings having to do with revealing the shadows of the emboldened ego /self. (Trump’s chart relates strongly to this eclipse – more later on that.)
a new world could be opening into a shared power base
Astrologically the obvious major influences are the release of shadow elements regarding authority and a revolution. This could portend a shift of power in the world – ie the USA being dethroned as the top of the heap of the Superpowers and / or a healing of that power.
Communication will be intense (as in negotiation – perhaps) – Mercury in retrograde and fraught with possible deceptions and/or lofty ideals as a one-world government etc. – Neptune (ideals / spirituality, illusions and delusions) opposite Mercury.
Regulus – a “fixed” star has been in Leo for the last 2,000 years and has recently enter Virgo. Regulus – meaning royalty and those that serve royalty (the patriarchy) has moved into Virgo – innocence and healing bounded by a spiritual community.
This looks to be a time of stand-offs that are painfully entering a new time of healing.
Trump could get a karmic kick in the butt
Looking at this as a key opening a lock: a new world could be opening into a shared power base. In other worlds the patriarchal hierarchy is gone and this new way of a community of shared power is emerging. It could be felt in how all our relationships work – assuming you don’t take the role of the parent or child and instead become a peer.
Trump’s natal chart reflects his impulsivity and his karma. This eclipse could reveal his shadow and end up with a karmic kick in the butt.