How It Is
Trump and the Trumpublicans (Trumpublicans are Republicans who have sworn their allegiance to Trump, surrendered critical thinking or are too fearful of criticism from Trump to oppose his Me-Only agenda whims) are engaged in a Libertarian Anarchistic Assault on:
- Public health (Let’s go back to the way it was before the Affordable Care Act)
- Sacred Earth / Environment (let’s roll back all EPA standards to promote Oil and Coal at the expense of the environment and public health concerns)
- A Foreign Policy (there is no policy)
- Congress (acting dictatorial without advice and consent from Congress)
- Allegedly conspiring with Russia to disrupt/win elections (obstruction of justice; see Mueller Report)
- Appoint Cabinet Members from “the swamp” of the corporate world creating conflicts of interest and fomenting greed etc., etc.
- Emoluments (making money mandated by the office of the President) (an impeachable offence by the way)
- Justice regarding Neo-Nazi, Immigrants, and LBGQ population (Trump is a White National Heterosexual Racist / Bigot)
And the list goes on. Trump reports that his policies are based on his “gut” intuition, giving him license to do whatever he pleases and change his mind often – clearly the actions of a dictator. My Facebook page is saturated with posts of our outrage against the Dictator aka Trump.
This is emotionally overwhelming mainly due to the injustice of it all.
Enter the many Democratic Challengers. Here are the top candidates:
- Elizabeth Warren has a clear and pragmatic agenda with specific bills to address a progressive agenda. (Not much on foreign policy – but maybe I’m not well informed.)
- Bernie Sanders has a clear progressive agenda. (Not much on foreign policy – but maybe I’m not well informed.)
- Joe Biden – a centrist with an agenda to defeat Trump and a bumpy national agenda with moderate goals
- Pete Buttigieg – an appealing intellectual centrist with an evolving agenda
As you may have guessed I favor a progressive agenda.
An Alternative: A Progressive Agenda
I was twelve when President Kennedy was assassinated and LJB became president. I never appreciated President Johnson’s work on Civil Rights, Voting Rights Act, Immigration reform, Federal funding for education, healthcare reform, in short, The Great Society which also included Gun Control, a clean environment, urban renewal, lowering poverty and so on… I never appreciated Johnson’s domestic agenda in-part due to my father’s conservative Republican harangue and Johnson’s escalation of the Vietnam War.
When Nixon was elected I became a peaceful anti-war activist.
When it became clear that Nixon broke the law and resigned from office I like a great number of others became disillusioned with the United States Government especially under Reagan, Clinton, George W. Bush, and Obama.
The Progressive Part
Looking back to President Kennedy and President Johnson’s domestic agendas they did much to start and continue the social programs of FDR helping to shape an emerging capitalistic economy for a rising middle-class, programs to assist with reducing racism – addressing poverty and with addressing environmental concerns.
It was a beginning that was stalled under Nixon and reversed under Reagan. Through Reagan’s deregulation agenda – the News Media was freed from being a public service to pursue profitable news – one reason why Conservative / Right leaning opinion is sold as News under Fox. Reagan’s tax cuts helped create a millionaire class while the middle-class began languishing further.
The ideas of Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren are middle-class people-oriented values and needs of the American public. Ever since Clinton abandoned many of the Democrat values by selling-out to Big-Money in his second term the Centrists took control of the party that no longer represents the people.
What’s needed is a vision of what Progressive America will look like once it gets going. How will it feel, what values will it return – how will it unite all Americans and not just the elite or the Big Moneyed interests.
This is a preface to the Progress vision coming in part two.